Monday, September 22, 2014

A Sublime Man

In a previous post I talked about making an ATC sized assemblage for a trade.  This format intrigued me enough to make another one, with additions.  I started this one with a 2 1/2" by 3 1/2" block of 3/4" wood.  I decided that the featured find was going to be one of many gold shapes I have like this.


I am not sure where I got these but I think they either came off a belt or a necklace.  I drilled a hole through the wood to bolt it on.

Next I rummaged through my collection of tin types and decided I wanted to make this old dude my subject.  The idea here is that this is his death photo and this is an homage to him.  



I was hoping that these little tacks would help give a tombstone look to the piece.  

Then it is time to paint, paint, paint.  I added the hand reaching out to the viewer and some wire to help enclose the image.  







I thought the final touch was to title the piece so I found text in my collage materials that I felt was appropriate and the piece got its title:  A Sublime Man.

It was at this point in the process that it became evident that I was not going to need to make an ATC for the trade (after Denice laid claim to the last one).  So, that freed me up from the structure of the trade and I could embellish on the size.

I added a few nails to extend the definition and attached a crucifix to the hand to add meaning to the theme.  





And so, we have:  A Sublime Man.  


1 comment: